Guidelines for focusing on learning from kottke.org. A workplace diversity trainer presented the following 10 items:
#4? Hell no. I chalk that one up to genetics. I never had a chance.
- Release the need to be right.
- Welcome one another's thoughts and opinions.
- Suspend judgment.
- Listen for understanding, not rebuttal.
- Make personal statements by using "I" rather than "you".
- Clarify first what was said before you challenge someone.
- Take time to reflect.
- Lean into discomfort.
- Respond first to what was said before making your point.
- Have fun.